Alberta Initiative for School Improvement 2012-2015
Our AISI Cycle 5 project will examine and implement current research and practice that promotes Learner Intellectual Engagement. Our project aims to enhance "all students' abilities to learn how to learn and to become lifelong learners in a knowledge-based society" (Parsons and Taylor, 2011, p.3 - quoting Gilbert, 2007, p. 1). More specifically, our project will focus on ‘intellectual engagement' as a means to create learners who own their learning and will be more motivated to take on new challenges. Learners will become increasingly reflective and meta-cognitive about their learning. There will be an emphasis on process and growth in learning over knowledge alone and our learners will see real world connections in their learning that sets them up for a lifelong commitment to learning. Key themes from our past projects, specifically Assessment for Learning and 21st Century Learning, will be carried forward and deepened through a more rigorous emphasis on Motivation, Mindset and Brain Based Learning.
Holy Spirit AISI 5 Project: Intellectual Learner Engagement
Holy Spirit AISI Blog
Holy Spirit Engagement Research
University of Lethbridge Literature Review
Alberta Education AISI Website
AISI Cycle 5 Planning Resources
AISI Student Engagement Research
AISI School Community Engagement Continuum and Rubric
Engaging Our Students Project Proposal
Collaborative Peer Mentor Program
Engaging the 21st Century Learner 2009-2012
Engaging the 21st Century Learning Project Plan & Report
We have identified skills, knowledge, and expertise students will need to succeed in work and life in the 21st Century to include the following:
- Creativity and innovation
- Critical thinking, problem solving and inquiry
- Communication and collaboration
- Self directed learning
- 21st Century Literacy as defined in the K-12 Literacy Framework, Alberta Education
- Includes print, numeracy and digital literacy
- Fosters student desire to learn so that they will develop the skills needed to adapt in an ever changing world
- Prepares students for lifelong learning
- Enables students to access successfully, evaluate critically, and engage with today's emergent and ever-changing information sources
- Develops student ability to:
- read a range of print, oral, visual and multimedia texts
- master new and evolving technologies
- manage information
- engage critically with media and other texts
In order for students to succeed, teachers will be utilizing differentiated instruction, pyramid response to intervention, and a balanced assessment program. Student engagement in learning will increase through enhancing instructional skills in teachers to better meet the needs of 21st Century Learners.
We acknowledge and applaud the work of our staff in moving our project forward and providing excellent learning opportunities for our students.
Grade Level Wiki
During the three year period from 2006-2009, the focus of our Alberta Initiative for School Improvement (AISI) project was to improve learning in Math and Science and to assist teachers in developing skills in formative and summative assessment practices.
The links below will take you to AISI Newsletters explaining new Assessment Practices incorporated as a result of our project.