St. Michael's School Council
March 26, 2012
St. Michael's School Library
1. Chelan Citrigno called meeting to order at 7:05 pm.
2. Tina Delinte led opening prayer.
3. Susan Gerber moved to approve agenda; Jill Bruder seconded.
4. Lisa Holoboff moved to approve minutes from February meeting. Susan Gerber seconded.
Principal (Don Kuchison)
- Holy Spirit School Division's nominee for Edwin Parr Award for Excellence in First Year teaching is Nicole Parkin
- Senior basketball and wrestling teams did well; thanks to coaches and athletes
- Staff meetings and PD conversations have been around setting the direction; AISI
- Don Kuchison attended Catholic Conference put on by ACSTA
- School Division Spiritual Development day had several topics
- Reminder of Open House this Wednesday; lots of displays; everyone is invited
- Budget talks at division level; preliminary numbers only so far; no idea of staffing yet
- Inclusion; direction for the future; change in focus
- Bill 2 of Education Act is on hold; thanks to those who contacted government to oppose
- Don Kuchison attended Rural Education symposium; different rural divisions showing how they are surviving, being innovative and providing opportunities; looking at non-traditional methods e.g Fort Vermillion BLAST program
- March 31: look for school featured on Global Lethbridge; broadcast will be on Holy Spirit website April 1
Friends of St. Michael's (Lisa Holoboff)
- Gift cards are going well
- Meeting next Monday
- Working on constitution
Teachers (Lori Jo Ettenhofer)
- Manon Dyck (Tues/Thurs ECS)
March theme: Always Grow; Dr Van Bussel coming in (Doctors our Friends); Nurse Robbins (handwashing); Heather (dental care); Mrs Goodfellow helped plant sweet pea called "Bijou"
April Theme: Spring on the Farm; visiting a farm; visiting Bos Sod in Coaldale and the Birds of Prey centre
- Angie Reimer (Mon/Wed ECS)
Visiting the Calgary Zoo April 23; participating in the educational program "The Bear Necessities" Spring Easter and learning about bears; feel free to come in and help with Jolly Phonics, printing , numeracy and 3D objects
- Patty Zoratti (2 English)
Science: boats and buoyancy unit; building boats and hopefully getting to test them in the pool after Easter
Religion: learning about the symbols of Easter and the Eucharist
Going to the Calgary Childrens' Festival in May with the Grade 1 and 3 classes
- Jennifer Parker (3/4/French)
French: concentrating on storytelling
Science: have begun unit on light and shadow
Math: have begun unit in measurement beginning with measuring time
- Lynn Wocknitz (5 English)
Math: working on investigating division through a workshop that has students test personal strategies, share ideas, and learn how their strategies may be used to learn about more efficient strategies; students are preparing presentations, sharing, discussing; mini-lessons support their work
Science: Electricity and Magnetism; investigated what material is attracted to magnets, what is unique about magnetic poles and magnetic fields
Religion: class is preparing to lead elementary classes in Stations of the Cross prayer and meditation service as they enact each station (Holy Thursday)
Health: students have learned about and practiced positive communication strategies for team/group roles in skits
- Lori Jo Ettenhofer (5 English)
PE: badminton unit; up to 10 minutes in their endurance run
LA: finishing up novel study (Underground to Canada)
Social: continuing to study the history of Canada
Mini Basketball has ended; Grade 5 and 6 students did amazing; great team to coach; played well and represented school well.
We should apply for 1A Boys Provincials
6. Business Arising from the minutes
- Lighting/Traffic safety in front of the school:
Don Kuchison will look into this.
- 4x4 Formation Meeting Update
Bernie McCracken attended the meeting; Gladstone Valley and Beaver Mines look like they're moving ahead to 4x4 formation; thanks to Jonathan Spranza and Kim Gelber and Angie Reimer.
Meetings set for April 24: Gladstone Valley and May 15: Beaver Mines. There must be a minimum of three petitioners at the meetings.
7. New Business
A. Report Cards
- Discussion around report cards.
B. Bill 2-The Education Act
- information shared regarding Bill 2; concerns around Catholic education; bill is quashed due to public concern
C. Repairs to playground
- Central Office maintenance department will continue to repair as necessary
D. Executive for School Council next year
- Chelan Citrigno is stepping down as chair
- Will likely need a new secretary
E. Mexican Fiesta
- May 5 in the Dale Wentz Memorial Gym;
- Money raised will go to the Friends of St. Michael's and to the school for Fine Arts and CTS programs
- Volunteers needed
- 50/50 draw, live and silent auction
- decorating Friday, May 4 at 1:30
8. Next Meeting: Monday, April 16, 2012 at 7 pm
9. Susan Gerber Moved to adjourn; Jill Bruder seconded.