Work Experience Frequently Asked Questions
Who may go into work experience?
- Any student in grade 10, 11, or 12 who has a part time job, or who volunteers, can sign up for Work Experience.
What are the pre-requisites?
- All students must have completed HCS3000 Workplace Safety System before a mark can be submitted with Alberta Learning. This is the only pre-requisite!!
What are the advantages of being in work experience?
- Credits go towards your high school diploma.
Most students are paid a wage while at the same time earning credits. (They get paid to get credits!!)
- Students often earn a higher Grade Point Average (GPA) on their high school transcript. This could lead to more scholarships!!
- Build upon your resume for future employment.
- Create contacts as references for future career choices.
What do I need to do to sign-up/ register?
- Come to the Career Centre and see Mr. Boschee. He will give you a package containing a number of forms that need to be completed and signed by parents, your employer and yourself.
- Once Mr. Boschee has received these forms he will go out to your job site, and complete a site inspection.
- Then bring in evidence of hours worked (time sheets or pay stubs) and start earning high school credits!
Is there a time limit of when the credits must be competed?
- No. Students work schedules vary from one student to another therefore, students earn credits on an individual basis. For example, if a student works 10 hours a week, that students will probably earn 10 credits in about 6 or 7 months. It may take another student less time, or more, depending on the amount of hours worked. However, once a student is registered in Work Experience, it is crucial that they hand in their pay stubs or time sheets so that credits can be accurately submitted to Alberta Learning.
Can I use more than one job for work experience?
- Yes. As long as the students has the paper work filled out for both jobs, hours can be added together to earn credits in Work Experience.
Can volunteer work be considered work experience?
- Absolutely, the same criterion is used and volunteer hours can be accumulated over the 3 years of high school, so that the student can earn the maximum number of credits. A signed letter, or some evidence of hours volunteered must be submitted to Mr. Boschee from the volunteer organization.
Can I use my summer job?
- CCH off-campus education does run through the summer, so hours worked during the summer can be used towards credits as well.